This happens once a year, maybe twice. There was absolutely nothing on my calendar on a beautiful fall Saturday. And with our crazy schedules it just so happened that my entire family was also out of town. This, my dear readers is an act of God at the Briggs House. All of you midlife women/men with full time jobs, (in or out of the house… this includes homemakers) an active family, philanthropic obligations and just the craziness of life know that a free Saturday is a gift. Friday night I went solo to a party, then came home early to plan out my free day. I was in bed with my jammies by 10:00pm. I had my glass of wine (yes it was the third for the evening, it’s Friday) and started creating my To Do wish list for Saturday.
Matuschka’s To Do List:
1. Take a long shower with new scrub purchased 3 months ago and haven’t used.
2. Walk the dog on a new path where the leaves are already turning.
3. Go to a new coffee shop with my laptop and enjoy a big mug of coffee.
4. Call my beautiful Niece Sophia for her Birthday!
5. Change out my pots to fall mums and clip back hostas.
6. Schedule a massage for late afternoon after gardening.
7. Run by Nordstrom’s for triple points and look for winter coat.
8. Go to an artsy movie with subtitles. (My family would never do this with me.)
9. Finish off the night with carry out Chinese and a glass of wine in bed.
It’s like a dream list isn’t it. I mean this is going to be the best damn day ever. No one to change my plans, no one else to answer too, I mean I am home free! So excited! I can’t even type this blog out fast enough. I want this day to be so perfect because who knows when this will happen again. Okay let me share my Fabulous Fall day with you…
Matuschka’s Lazy Fall Saturday October 3, 2015.
1. Wake up clock says 7:30am. Oh I have all day, I’m going to sleep some more.
2. Feel dog staring at me. Wake up. Hmmm it’s 9:35am, bet she has to go potty real bad. Throw on robe and slippers and just walk dog up and down sidewalk about three houses and back. I’ll do the fun walk later to look at leaves.
3. Get back in bed. Turn on TV and see that Footloose is on with Kevin Bacon. Grab a protein shake and decide to watch, just until my favorite part… his big dance seen in the barn.
4. Damn it’s 12:00pm already. I need to take a shower. Haven’t really followed my list. No stress, I have all day and night. Kinda hungry, driving to new coffee shop sounds like a lot of work. Half bitten oatmeal cookie that someone left on the cookie tray looks good and hot tea sounds nice. Yummy, back in bed I go.
5. Just going to rest my eyes for a sec.
6. Wowza it’s 2:00pm. Let me call for a massage. Damn they are all booked. Go figure? Didn’t’ want one anyway. Let me get my phone and reach out to the family who are all with friends in Denver. Got my phone… Get back in bed and face time. No answer! Hmmm wonder what they are doing… not really but it sounds good to write that down. LOL
7. Shoot let me call my niece Sophia for her Birthday, trying to stick to my to do list. At least somewhat right? Sophia is so cute she tells me she got a lot of thingy ma bobs for her nails.
8. Wait... what time is it? Damn it’s 4:00pm, I should really get out of my jammies and take a shower. But I’m so tired. Besides I tell my self I don’t have to stick to my schedule it’s MY day. Back in Bed… But I need a coat. Jump out of bed to grab lap top. Got it! Back in bed to surf around on Nordstrom’s website. Hate doing this now I’ll see every coat I looked at on every damn social website feed. Buy a coat! Another list accomplishment done.
9. Wow it’s almost 6:00pm and I haven’t done much… Too cold and getting dark to do gardening. Maybe I should jump in the shower then order Chinese? Let me try my family again first.
10. They can’t talk they are eating a late lunch with our friends the Palettas. I’ll call back in a sec. Let me just lie down and look at the Chinese menu on my iPad. Oh there’s a pop up message from late yesterday saying I have all my lives on Candy Crush. I’ll do a level or two real quick in bed.
11. Holy Crap it’s 9:00pm. I dozed off after Candy Crush. Shoot! Look at my phone no one called not even my family. Whatever… I’m hungry! Order Chinese… go get glass of wine and turn lights on in the house. It got so dark so quickly. I really should take a shower while I am waiting for the Chinese.
12. Dog is staring at me. Oh ya, you need to go out again, and you need food and darn you have no water. Sorry… been a little busy!
13. Finished wine, only ate half of Chinese. Too tired to shower besides it’s 10:53pm. What happened to the day? I look at my To Do List. Total fail!
In conclusion, I must say the fact that I stayed in my jammies all day and did whatever the hell I wanted to do made it a great day. Yet another list that didn’t get completed, but does that matter? As I look back on my Lazy Fall Saturday and re-evaluate the gift of a free day. There really should not even be a list. It should be a day that unfolds unplanned. In the end I say to all of you midlife over committed compadres…. Don’t plan your free days. Just let them be! Lord I don’t even think I brushed my teeth or combed my hair. Nasty… But Ohhhh so marvelous!
Keep looking forward so you don't miss what God puts in front of ya!
Matuschka's Midlife... Telling it like it is...
Above image from 8tracks.com